Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The Southland Challenge

Lets just say that this didn't go over too well. I came up with the idea that the girls would buy a toy for a little girl and a little boy. So we headed to Walmart after church and they picked out a toy. We then headed to a hospital and we're told that we couldn't give it to a child. Karissa and Katie were confused about why and Katie was crying because she really wanted to give the toy to a little girl. We were told that we could just put it in a bin, well my girls know how to do that so that wasn't the lesson I wanted to teach them. I thought people were able to volunteer at Shriners so I didn't think anything about going and passing out a toy to a child. So after getting turned down by 3 hosptials we headed to downtown Lexington to see if we can find a child outside. We didn't see a single child. I then drove to Nicholasville and drove around and even went to a park and no one was there either. We did this for 4 hours and we were very discouraged.
I then decided that maybe this wasn't the challege for us so we decided to bake cookies for the fire department and sheriff's department. We delivered them on Monday evening.

I think in order to help out a family, it's all about who you know and if they know someone in need because I then called my friend and she was trying to do the same thing and they couldn't find anyone to give the toys r us gift card to.

1 comment:

Jason and Becky said...

Maybe it's just too hot outside! Kids are playing inside. I'm sure I could locate a foster family in Nicholasville if you still want to give away the toys. Could the girls give it to someone in Karissa's class? The right child is out there just waiting on their new toy, but I totally understand the frustration! I couldn't believe how long it took us. We found many kids around the markets and restaurants in Cardinal Valley if you still want the girls to give away their toy.